"Eats Your Weeds" Organic T-Shirt LineHello my name is Katheryn Langelier and I am the founder of Herbal Revolution, a small organic herbal business. My project is to launch an "Eat Your Weeds" organic t-shirt line for adults and kids. In three weeks, from September 21-23, I will be vending at the Common Ground Country Fair. This three-day event, put on by Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association, has been drawing crowds of over 20,000 people from all around the country. I believe that my "Eat Your Weeds" organic t-shirts will have a great opportunity to reach hundreds of people over these three days.
Why "Eat Your Weeds" organic t-shirts?
The idea behind these t-shirts is to help create a dialogue and general awareness of local wild foods and the environment. Millions of pounds of chemicals and pesticides are dumped onto lawns, playgrounds, golf courses etc, to eradicate plants such as dandelions. These chemicals leach into our ground water, kill the the microbes that are needed to create healthy living soil and in general denature and poison most everything they come in contact with. I have hopes that this t-shirt will start to help people recognize the nutritional value and environmental benefits from eating locally foraged greens.
Why I need support to launch this project?What I have discovered over the past few months is that these soft, organic and flattering t-shirt styles are not inexpensive to produce. It's important to me that these shirts are both organic and attractive. These are the things that I take into consideration when I am shopping for clothes, and I assume that many others do also.
My herbal business is very small and this summer I attempted to attend a three-day event that would have brought in a certain amount of financial stability for the business. Unfortunately, a couple of hours after I set up my booth, a torrential downpour came in with no letting up in sight. It was an intense storm and within 1/2 hour, it was starting to affect the products in my booth. I decided it was time to count my losses and get out of dodge. As I pulled up to my booth with my truck, I watched in horror as my tent went rolling across the field, people running madly with my props and products, and then to top it all off the tornado siren started sounding. I left this event with a broken tent, ruined products and a significant financial loss.
The shirt budget, which I thought would be available for me at this point in time, is now non-existent. Your pledge will help get me and my business back on track and up on our feet again, just in time for the Common Ground Country Fair in three weeks.
What are the benefits from eating weeds?There are many edible weeds available to us, but for the purpose of this project I will stick with Dandelion (Taraxacum officinalis). All parts of the dandelion plant can be consumed, but for this example, I'll focus on the benefits of the dandelion greens. Dandelion greens contain one of the richest source of beta carotene in the edible plant kingdom. Along with being rich in beta carotenes they also contain high sources of Vitamin A coming in third behind cod-liver oil and liver. This vibrant spring green is full of nutrients including calcium, potassium, magnesium, iron, Vitamin B, thiamin and proteins just to name a few. These great spring greens are cleansing to our systems, supportive to the kidneys and are great for the digestive system. Eating dandelion greens doesn't have to be an intimidating event, they can be added to salads, made into pesto, or added to any dish that calls for greens. They are often harvested in the spring when they are young and tender and before they have gone to flower. Once they have gone to flower they do tend to become more bitter, although I personally still gather these leaves well into the fall.
How will the project funds will be used?I am looking to raise $2,500, to purchase roughly 130 organic "Eat Your Weeds" t-shirts in women's fitted scoop neck styles, a women's more modest style, a flattering men's style, and children's shirts.
I would be utilizing a small local screenprinting shop that uses water-based inks. Therefore, you would not only be supporting me, my project and my small business - but you would also be supporting another small Maine business.
...I am taking a leap, holding my breath and hoping this works!
What you get for your pledges?
- $5 - Everyone will receive a handwritten thank-you card with the "Eat Your Weeds" graphic design on it.
- $15 - You'll receive the card above as well as one of our great "Eat Your Weeds" stickers.
- $25 - In addition to both items above, you'll receive a Dandelion Recipe card with some easy and delicious recipes.
- $50 - Along with all of the items above, you'll receive Herbal Revolution's Spring Cleaning Tea Blend. This tea is made with organic Dandelion Root, Burdock Root, Yellow Dock Root, Rose Hips, Red Clover blossoms and leaf. I'd like to add that every single one of these dried herbs in this tea blend are also delicious and nutritious wild edibles!
- $75 - In addition to all of the items above - card, sticker, and you'll receive your very own organic "Eat Your Weeds" t-shirt!
- $100 - You'll receive one of everything from the list above - card, sticker, tea, and organic "Eat Your Weeds" t-shirt!
- $250 - You'll receive one of everything above - card, sticker, tea, and organic "Eat Your Weeds" t-shirt - plus a dandelion flower essence.
- $500 - You'll receive all of the above - card, sticker, tea, organic "Eat Your Weeds" t-shirt, dandelion flower essence - PLUS a 3-Month Herbal Revolution CSA Subscription. (This includes one herbal tincture, one flower essence, one tea blend and an extra item. You have your choice of products to receive each month along with great information on each product, plus plenty of fun extra information on edible weeds and how to use them.)
- $1000 - You'll receive all of the above - card, sticker, tea, organic "Eat Your Weeds" t-shirt, dandelion flower essence - PLUS a 6-Month Herbal Revolution CSA Subscription. (This includes one herbal tincture, one flower essence, one tea blend, and an extra item. You have your choice of products to receive each month along with great information on each product, plus plenty of fun extra information on edible weeds and how to use them.)